I have had a varied career in the music/audio industry, while at the same time working as a musician and worship leader. My first degree was in Physics and Acoustics, and for some 12 years or so I worked in various roles in the professional audio industry, first as a production engineer (for Neve Electronic Laboratories) then later as Service Manager for AMS Neve working with both analogue and digital systems for broadcast and recording applications. I also ran technical training courses for broadcast engineers. For a while I worked with Rupert Neve in his sound reinforcement consultancy business.
My interest in creativity and the arts led to a further degree in humanities with the Open University where I majored in philosophy of the arts (aesthetics), human philosophy and religious studies - the latter focused on religion in Victorian Britain. I then gained a doctorate in theology and literature from King's College London (proud to be one of the top 20 universities in the world!) working under Prof. Ben Quash exploring the theology of imagination, looking specifically at the life and work of George MacDonald. I enjoy exploring theology and creativity!
In parallel to all this, I have always been a gigging musician and writer and have also been involved in various churches in musical roles. Until 2004 I was on the staff of the Manchester Vineyard Church for nine years where I was the director of the Creative Worship Centre. Right now I also work as an editor, mostly editing educational research papers prior to publication.
This broad experience enables me to teach in a number of areas which include:
- Songwriting and creative writing (exploring the creative process from conception through to finished work)
- Design and use of audio systems (this workshop is aimed at users of audio systems who are not particularly technical: we explore basic electronics and acoustics to help you not only invest in the right equipment, but get the best out of it)
- Acoustic guitar workshop (beginners/intermediate)
- Vocal workshop and vocal coaching
- Leading contemporary worship
- Creativity from a biblical perspective
- How to become more creative.